Do you want to learn why Database backups are different from file backups? Click HERE to find out.
Do you want to learn why
are different from file backups?
Click HERE to find out.
The FDR (Fast Dump Restore) family comprises a wide range of mainframe data management products. This section discusses FDRABR (FDR Automatic Backup and Recovery), as it is used for backup and recovery. FDRABR runs as a set of batch jobs in a z/OS environment. Unlike DFSMSHSM, FDRABR does not have an associated started task, and so does not have any logon facility, as there is nothing to log into. The FDRABR pages include:
The components that make up FDRABR, the ABR catalog, ABR disk initialisation, and ABR backup datasets
FDRINC, FDRABR disk based backups
FDRAPPL, how to use FDRABR for application backups
The FDRARC component of FDRABR can also be used to archive stale data off to tape, but that is not mentioned here.
Other FDR components include
- FDR itself, a fast way of dumping disks, but which lacks the backup cataloging facilities of FDRABR
- FDRDSF (Data Set Facility), a way of dumping individual datasets, but again, without the cataloging facilities of FDRABR
- FDRinstant, an FDR extension which uses the 'snapshot copy' facilities provided by most storage systems, to take very fast backups of large amounts of data. FDRinstant is explained in the instant backup section, and snapshot is explained in the snapshot products section.
- FDRDRP is an enhancement to FDRABR, used for full volume restores, typically in a disaster recovery scenario where many volumes are to be recovered. It used to speed up recoveries of multiple volumes by managing tape mounts, so that each tape is mounted only once. You can find more details on the FDRABR tape handling page.
- COMPAKTOR or FDRCPK, a product that consolidates free space on a volume and releases unused volume space. Compaktor can also be used to manage the system datasets on a volume, like the VTOC or the VVDS.
- FDREPORT which is used to gather capacity data about disk space used throughout the mainframe environment.
- FDRCRYPT, a product that encrypts backup data on tape.
People often come to this page looking for an explanation of the .fdr file extension. This has nothing to do with FDRABR, the .fdr extension is used for Final Draft document Files. Final Draft is a word processor specifically designed for writing movie and television scripts and stage plays.
back to top